Access to corpus
Panckhurst R., Détrie C., Lopez C., Moïse C., Roche M., Verine B. (2014) “88milSMS. A corpus of authentic text messages in French” (long title)
In the following text, the long title is replaced by the following short title: “88milSMS”. In case of corpus reuse, the long title referring to the corpus must be used to quote the source, as indicated in the Corpus User License below.
Structures granting the user license:
• Université Paul-Valéry Montpellier 3 (producer of the data base)
• CNRS (producer of the data base)
• Université catholique de Louvain (UCL) (author of the data base)
The 88milSMS corpus contains more than 88,000 authentic French text messages received from the public during the sud4science LR project. It also contains a sociolinguistic questionnaire which was submitted to SMS donors, and the questionnaire answers. Our team is affiliated with the international sms4science project coordinated by UCL.
Information, form and acceptance of the corpus user license conditions
The University Paul-Valéry Montpellier 3, via the responsibility of the President, and on behalf of Praxiling, manages a database of corpus users, for the purpose of recording your acceptance of the license terms relating to the corpus, and manages an optional mailing list, which is designed to keep you informed about current scientific work on the corpus.
In accordance with the French "Informatique et Libertés" law (data protection legislation), you have a right to access, rectify and delete the data you fill out below. In order to do so, please write to the following address:
Université Paul-Valéry, Praxiling – “88milSMS”, Route de Mende,
34199 Montpellier cedex 5, FRANCE;
User free-of-charge license agreement (print license terms) :
Data base: designates the “88milSMS” corpus, designed, developed and enriched by its producers. The corpus contains more than 88,000 authentic text messages in French. It also contains a sociolinguistic questionnaire which was submitted to SMS donors, and the questionnaire answers. This data base is an intellectual creation protected by the French Intellectual Property Code and the applicable international rules and regulations.
The producers of the "88milSMS" corpus concede a non-exclusive and non transferable right to the licensee to use the corpus for the duration of the protection of the corpus according to Intellectual Property rights, for the whole world, under the following conditions:
• the licensee is authorised to download a copy of the SMS corpus (full , 100 SMS and/or 1,000 SMS), the questionnaire (questions and answers) and explanatory files.
• reuse (copy, distribution ) of qualitative or quantitative non-substantial parts of the “88milSMS” corpus is permitted for all purposes in connection with a teaching and/or research activity. Commercial use of non-substantial parts of the “88milSMS” corpus is authorised solely for scientific publication.
• reuse is subject to the following credits quoted in extenso:
"88milSMS . A corpus of authentic text messages in French" Panckhurst R. Détrie C. , Lopez C., Moïse C. , Roche M., Verine B. (2014), produced by the University Paul-Valéry Montpellier 3 and the CNRS, in collaboration with the Catholic University of Louvain, funded with support from the MSH-M and the Ministry of Culture (General Delegation for the French language and the languages of France) and with the financial participation of Praxiling, Lirmm, Lidilem, Tetis, Viseo. ISLRN : 024-713-187-947-8"
The user may only use the credits required for quotation purposes and may not assert or imply any relationship, sponsorship or approval by producers and authors of the "88milSMS" corpus.
• Reuse (copy, distribution) of qualitative or quantitative substantial parts of the “88milSMS” corpus, is not permitted according to this user license agreement.
This user license has been made available in two versions, one in French and one in English. In case of interpretation difficulties, the French version shall prevail.